The world of higher education and employment has become extremely competitive in the 21st century and new careers and interesting opportunities are becoming available to students at an ever increasing rate.
Abbey Cambridge Careers Advice
The Careers department at Abbey Cambridge aims to ensure that our students are thoroughly prepared to meet the career challenges ahead of them once they leave the College, and we are working hard to meet all the 8 benchmarks of the Gatsby Index for Good Careers Guidance.
The Careers programme at Abbey Cambridge offers a high-quality, impartial and up-to-date programme of information and guidance, including:
• Speakers (ranging from professionals to former students) are invited to the College.
• Attendance at careers fairs and conferences,
• Organisation of variety of Careers-related activities ourselves from our staff giving enrichment talks on careers in their specialist subject fields to hosting our annual UCAS Fair, where students use from Y11 onwards use Unifrog to look at careers opportunities and reflect on their own skills and aptitudes through the extensive personality tests available on the website.
• Workshops on CV writing and interview techniques are provided, and through our exploration of work-related learning, students are helped to find work experience and placements at the end of Year 12 or take part in work shadowing activities provided by our partner InvestIN. This includes volunteering opportunities that students who participate in the Duke of Edinburgh pursue themselves to gain their silver or gold awards.
We also provide:
• One-to-one, personalised support and Individual Careers Plans (ICPs) for all year-groups through our partnership with local Cambridge experts Form The Future.
• Careers guidance as a component of the PHSEE programme and all the subject schemes-of-work.